Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Next New Thing

I think it would be amazing to have a way of conducting transactions in DMV through a system that allows customers to avoid long waits to be attended. The system I talk about would allow interaction of a DMV employee face-to-face with a customer through a computer camera. To verify the identity of each individual, a password can be created. The picture can be taken with the camera in the computer. The interaction can be done for identification purposes only. The form to apply for an ID can be filled out previously. After the interaction, the customer can print out a DMV coded temporary ID until the new one arrives. In this way, DMV will reduce expenses and the most important thing, customers will be happier. I thought about a DMV system because I recently went to renew a DL. I waited for 4 hours, making the line to get the ticket number, waiting for the picture to be taken, and waiting for my ticket number to be called. I know you can request an ID renewal online, but the process takes like 2 weeks to get it. And if you moved, the online transaction cannot be done. This type of systems can be used for many governmental agencies, and bank institutions.  

6 comments:

  1. I actually had to get my ID renewed and it took me less than a week but it seems if you have a need for it immediately your idea would better than any alternative the NYS DMV has to date. I'm guessing the amount of money it would save would probably make this a great idea for the State to review and consider as a prototype for a future solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea very much. Most people loath the idea of taking a trip to the DMV. You will have to take the whole day off to renew your ID. Having a online service where you can have direct contact with a DMV employee makes it much more convenient. It reduces the commute time and also the wait time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's an excellent idea! I remember when i was doing my writing part for driver's licence, it took forever! The line was like 2 hour long and by the time they took a picture of me i already forgot why I actually came for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I applaud the NYS DMV for allowing most basic transactions such as renewing car registration or driver's licenses to be done online, if there was a way such as this to completely eliminate the need to make physical visits to the DMV, it would save people a lot of frustration and wasted time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very interesting idea, and pretty practical. Typically change seems to only occur when costs can be cut and it seems like fewer (miserable) employees would benefit us as well as the government.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea where it would allow to cut the cost of time spent on the DMV line. When I went to take the written test for my driver permit, I waited about 2 and a half hour on line just listening to my music. This idea would have customers leaving more happier than before.

    ReplyDelete